When in California, it's always taco time! Due to its Mexican influence, California is known for having tasty and fresh tacos. Coming from New York (where Mexican food is generally a struggle) I was super excited when I stumbled upon Beach House Tacos in Ventura Beach. When I first laid eyes on Beach House Tacos the line was growing by the second. There were tons of bikers and "roadtrippers" making a pit stop along the Pacific Coast Highway (take a look at that line below). This little shack was located at the beginning of the boardwalk with cozy outdoor seating. It took 30 minutes just to get to the front of the line, but the live band, beautiful weather and view made the wait enjoyable. If you are passing through Ventura, Beach House Tacos is a perfect casual meal.
There were endless options as to what I could have ordered on the menu from Beach House Tacos. I wish I could have tried them all, or had time to come back! But, from what I did order here are my favorites in ascending order:
6. Traditional Carne Asada Tacos (make your own) - Quality meat but nothing unique or special about this taco. My least favorite.
5. Traditional Spicy Garlic Shrimp Tacos (make your own)- Calling all spicy lovers. This dish is for you. The shrimp was sure the star of the taco, letting the simple ingredients shine.
4. Guacamole and Chips- I like my guac chunky and that is exactly what it was. The homemade salty chips were amazing and hot off the press!
3. Corn on the Cob- Thumbs up! A classic buttery, cheesy corn on the cob!
2. Early California Grilled Fish Tacos- The fish was a bit mild in flavor but the toppings added another dimension to the dish. This taco was topped with guacamole, chipotle cream sauce and purple cabbage lime slaw topped with grilled corn-sweet onion-cherry tomato salsa.
1. Grilled Shrimp Tacos- Tender, juicy and plump shrimp. It was such a fresh dish and take on a shrimp taco. The shrimp was accompanied by mixed organic greens, shredded cabbage and chipotle cream sauce topped with cherry tomato avocado salsa.